ICC Likely to Come After Duterte Despite Philippines Split, Says Ruben Carranza

Senior Expert, Programs

3/13/2019

 

 The International Criminal Court is likely to continue investigating President Rodrigo Duterte for alleged crimes against humanity even after the Philippines' withdrawal from the tribunal takes effect a week from now, a rights lawyer said Sunday.

The Hague-based ICC launched last year a preliminary examination into Duterte's supposed role in the alleged death squad killings in Davao City, where he ruled as mayor for over 2 decades. He is facing a separate complaint before the court over his anti-narcotics drive that has killed thousands.

The cases prompted Duterte in May 2018 to withdraw the Philippines from the Rome Statute, which created the ICC. Manila's split from ICC takes effect next Sunday. Ruben Carranza is quoted in the story.

Read More

 

Outlet: 
ABS-CBN News