In this op-ed, ICTJ Vice President Paul Seils discusses how education can be used to address...
Serbia on Monday asked U.N. war crimes prosecutors to hand over evidence against two Croatian generals whose convictions have been overturned, reigniting tensions between the Balkan wartime rival states.
Ante Gotovina and Mladen Markac were released earlier this month by a U.N. war crimes court after the appeals judges reversed convictions for atrocities, including the murder of hundreds of Serbs and the illegal deportation of hundreds of thousands of people during a 1995 Croatian military offensive known as Operation Storm.
Serbia’s war crimes prosecutors said they have asked U.N. prosecutors to hand over the evidence used in the trial of the two generals so they can consider whether to indict them in Serbia.
Gotovina and Markac are considered heroes in Croatia for their role in the 1991-95 war for independence from Serb-led Yugoslavia.
Serbia has said it has opened its own investigation of war crimes committed during the offensive.