Libya’s Coast Guard Shoots at a Vessel Seeking to Rescue Migrants in Distress, Group Says

Libya’s coast guard fired upon a vessel belonging to a humanitarian group as it searched for a migrant boat in distress in the Mediterranean Sea, the nonprofit said on Monday. 

The attack, which took place the day before, appeared to be one of the most violent involving a European rescue ship and the Libyan coast guard, which receives training, equipment, and funding from the European Union. 

Israel Bombed Gaza Hospital a Second Time, Killing Rescuers, Say Health Officials

Israel bombed the main hospital in southern Gaza on Monday and then struck the same spot again as rescuers and journalists rushed to help the wounded, killing at least 20 people including five journalists, health officials said. 

The “double tap” strike and killing of journalists prompted a wave of international condemnation, including from the UK foreign secretary, David Lammy. “Horrified by Israel’s attack on Nasser hospital. Civilians, healthcare workers and journalists must be protected. We need an immediate ceasefire,” Lammy wrote on X. 

Bangladeshi Leader Demands Justice for Rohingya, ‘Safe Return’ to Myanmar 

Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus has warned that his country can no longer provide additional support for the 1.5 million Rohingya refugees it shelters, calling on the international community to work on a roadmap for the voluntary return of the persecuted minority back to their homeland in Myanmar. 

Speaking in Cox’s Bazar on Monday at a two-day conference marking eight years since the mass expulsion of the mostly Muslim minority from Myanmar’s Rakhine state, Yunus unveiled a seven-point plan aimed at securing the refugees’ safe and voluntary return. 

Venezuelan Opposition Says Government Freed 13 Jailed in Post-Election Crackdown 

Venezuelan opposition leaders and civil society groups said on Sunday that the government released 13 people jailed in a crackdown by the government of President Nicolás Maduro following last year’s disputed elections. 

Venezuelan authorities did not immediately confirm the releases, but opposition leaders like Henrique Capriles said eight people were freed, while five more were released under house arrest. 

Venezuela's Maduro Rallies Civilian Militia Volunteers, Citing U.S. Invasion 'Threat'

Civil servants, housewives and retirees alike lined up in Venezuela's capital Caracas on Saturday as thousands volunteered to join the country's militia in case there is a U.S. invasion. 
  
President Nicolas Maduro called on citizens to respond to the current U.S. "threat" and sign up over the weekend to the Bolivarian Militia, a civilian corps linked to the South American country's armed forces. 
  

Sudan’s Paramilitary Forces Kill 13 People in Darfur, Mostly Women and Children, Group Says

Sudan’s notorious paramilitary forces attacked a group of people on a road in the country’s troubled Darfur region on Sunday, killing at least 13, mostly women and children, a medical group said. 

The killings were the latest by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and came a day after the RSF shelled a hospital in the besieged city of el-Fasher in North Darfur.  

Guinea Military Rulers Suspend Three Opposition Parties Before Referendum

Guinea’s military rulers have suspended the country’s three main opposition parties, including that of former President Alpha Conde, in the run-up to a constitutional referendum next month. 
  
The order on Saturday prevents Conde’s Rally of the Guinean People, the Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea, led by former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, and the Party of Renewal and Progress from engaging in any political activities for 90 days with immediate effect. 
 

DRC Prosecutor Seeks Death Penalty for Former Leader Joseph Kabila 

A military prosecutor in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is demanding the death penalty for former President Joseph Kabila who is on trial in absentia. 
 
General Lucien Rene Likulia, the Congolese military auditor general, called on judges to condemn Kabila to death for treason and war crimes, including homicide, torture, and organizing an insurrection, the court heard. 
 

UN-Backed Experts Declare Famine in and Around Gaza City 

An “entirely man-made” famine is taking place in Gaza’s largest city and its surrounding area amid deteriorating conditions that threaten an exponential increase in deaths across the devastated territory, UN-backed experts have declared. 

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC), a globally recognized organization that classifies the severity of food insecurity and malnutrition, found that three key thresholds for famine had been met, signaling a major escalation of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. 

French Judges Dismiss Genocide Case Against Rwanda's Former First Lady 

Investigating judges in Paris ordered the dismissal of a case alleging the widow of Rwanda's former president played a role in the country's 1994 genocide, according to court documents seen by AFP. 
 
Agathe Habyarimana, 82, who has been living in France since 1998 and whose extradition has been repeatedly requested by Kigali, now appears highly unlikely to face trial by a French court following the ruling. 
  

Subscribe to