Burkina Faso Forces Killed 100 Civilians in March – HRW

At least 100 civilians were killed by Burkina Faso government forces in March near the western town of Solenzo, Human Rights Watch said. 

According to victim testimony and videos shared on social media gathered by the rights group, the attackers were Burkina Faso special forces and members of a pro-government militia, the Volunteers for the Defense of the Homeland.  

The victims were all ethnic Fulani, a pastoralist community that is widespread across the region, which the government has long accused of supporting Muslim militants. 

Crates Full of Nazi Documents Found in Argentine Court's Basement

Crates containing documents from Nazi Germany have been rediscovered in the basement of Argentina's Supreme Court. 

The unusual find was made as workers were clearing the building's basement ahead of its archives being moved to a newly created museum. 

The documents were sent by the German embassy in Tokyo and arrived in Argentina on 20 June 1941 inside 83 diplomatic pouches aboard a Japanese steamship, according to information gathered by court officials. 

Marcos' Hold on Senate Grows Shaky while Duterte Wins Mayor Race from Jail

Dominated by a fiery feud between two political dynasties, the Philippine mid-term elections have thrown up unexpected results that may shake President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr's hold on the senate. 

According to the latest count of 80% of the votes, Marcos allies appear to have captured fewer senate seats than expected. 

Meanwhile his rival, former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte who is detained in The Hague over his drug war that killed thousands, has been elected mayor of his family's stronghold. 

Hamas Releases Israeli-American Hostage in Goodwill Gesture Toward Trump Administration

Hamas released an Israeli-American soldier who had been held hostage in Gaza for more than 19 months, offering a goodwill gesture toward the Trump administration that could lay the groundwork for a new ceasefire with Israel. 

Edan Alexander, 21, was the first hostage released since Israel shattered an eight-week ceasefire with Hamas in March and unleashed fierce strikes on Gaza that have killed hundreds of Palestinians. 

The PKK Kurdish Militant Group Will Disarm and Disband as part of a Peace Initiative with Turkey

The Kurdish militant group PKK announced that it is disbanding and renouncing armed conflict as part of a new peace initiative with Turkey, ending four decades of hostilities. 

The decision by the PKK, or Kurdistan Workers’ Party, promises to end one of the longest insurgencies in the Middle East and could have significant impact in Turkey, Syria and Iraq. It was announced by the Firat News Agency, a media outlet close to the group, days after the PKK convened a party congress in northern Iraq. 

More Than 100 Killed in Jihadi Attack in Northern Burkina Faso

An attack by a jihadi group in northern Burkina Faso killed more than 100 people, mostly soldiers, an aid worker and local residents said. 

The attack on several locations, including a military base and the long besieged strategic town of Djibo, occurred early Sunday, said an aid worker actively involved in dialogues in Burkina Faso’s hard-hit communities. A jihadi group aligned with Al-Qaida known as Jama’at Nasr al-Islam wal-Muslimin, or JNIM, which is active in the Sahel region, claimed responsibility for the May 11 attack. 

Armed Group Mounts Double Attack on Artisanal Mining Site in Mali, Leaving 3 Dead and Abducting 2

An armed group attacked an artisanal gold mining site in southern Mali, a local elected official announced, the first such attack since a military government seized power in 2020. 

“Early on Monday morning, terrorists carried out two attacks in the Narena commune. First, they attacked a shop belonging to Chinese nationals. They kidnapped two Chinese nationals and burned their heavy machinery used in gold mining,” Mamadou Kanté, deputy mayor of Narena, told The Associated Press. 

India-Pakistan Ceasefire Appears to Hold After Accusations of Violations

A ceasefire between India and Pakistan appears to have held overnight, after the two nations accused each other of "violations" just hours after a deal was reached.

Days of cross-border military strikes had preceded the US-brokered deal, marking the worst military confrontation between the two rivals in decades.

U.S. President Donald Trump praised India and Pakistan's leaders for agreeing the ceasefire in fresh comments on Sunday morning, saying millions of people could have died without it.

Burkina Faso Forces Killed at Least 100 Civilians in a March Attack, Human Rights Watch Says

At least 100 civilians were killed by Burkina Faso government forces in March near the western town of Solenzo, Human Rights Watch said. 

According to victim testimony and videos shared on social media gathered by the rights group, the attackers were Burkina Faso special forces and members of a pro-government militia, the Volunteers for the Defense of the Homeland. The victims were all ethnic Fulani, a pastoralist community that is widespread across the region, which the government has long accused of supporting Muslim militants. 

Explosions Reported After India and Pakistan Agree to Ceasefire

Nuclear-armed neighbors India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire on Saturday after U.S. pressure and four days of fighting, but within hours explosions rang out in border cities and towns and India accused Pakistan of violating the pact. 

Artillery fire and attack drones were witnessed in Jammu and Kashmir, the center of much of the fighting, while blasts from air-defense systems boomed in cities under blackout, similar to the previous evening, according to authorities, residents and Reuters witnesses. 

Subscribe to