Gangs Attack Another Town in Haiti’s Central Region, Killing an 11-year-old Child and Three Others

Gangs have attacked another town in Haiti’s central region, killing at least four people, including an 11-year-old child, a human rights activist told The Associated Press. 

At least 15 other people were injured by gunfire, and more than a dozen homes were burned in Petite Rivière, said Bertide Horace, spokesperson for the Commission for Dialogue, Reconciliation and Awareness to Save the Artibonite.  

The attack began April 24, but police were still battling gang members on April 28, she said in a phone interview. 

Sudan Activists Blame Notorious Group for Omdurman Attack in Which at Least 30 People Killed

Sudan’s notorious paramilitary group killed at least 30 people in an attack on Omdurman, the sister city of the capital, Khartoum, the authorities and an activist group said. 

Rapid Support Forces (RSF) are alleged to have kidnapped dozens of people, including women, from Salha, an area in the southern part of Omdurman on Sunday morning, according to the Resistance Committees activist group. It is the latest incident in a series of deadly attacks by the group this month. 

UN's Top Court Begins Hearings on Israel's Legal Duties Towards Palestinians

The UN's top court, the International Court of Justice (ICJ), has begun hearings for an opinion on Israel's legal duty to allow aid to Palestinians and to cooperate with the UN's Palestinian aid agency, UNRWA—both of which Israel has barred in Gaza. 

Israel stopped allowing aid into Gaza on March 2, which it said was to pressure Hamas into releasing hostages. The UN and aid agencies say food and supplies are running out in Gaza, which Israel denies. 

Last year Israel severed ties with UNRWA, accusing it of colluding with Hamas. 

Israel’s Domestic Security Chief Says He Will Step Down in June, Defusing Battle with Netanyahu

The head of Israel’s internal security service says he will resign in June over the failure of his agency to warn of Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attacks—defusing an escalating battle with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. 

Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar announced his resignation, saying he will formally step down June 15. 

“After years on many fronts, one night, on the southern front, the skies came down,” Bar said during remarks at a memorial event for fallen Shin Bet soldiers. “All systems collapsed. The Shin Bet also failed to give a warning.” 

Ecuador Opposition Objects to Election Results After Being Denied Recount

Ecuador's opposition party filed another objection to the recent presidential election results, according to a video released by the Citizens' Revolution party. 

Ecuador's elections body denied a request from the leftist opposition to recount votes, but the Citizens' Revolution party said it handed in a new report detailing numerous irregularities. 

Incumbent President Daniel Noboa won the election earlier this month and the election authority and the Organization of American States have certified the election and ruled out fraud. 

DR Congo, Rwanda Agree to Draft Peace Deal by May 2

Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have agreed to draft a peace deal by May 2, committing to respect each other’s sovereignty and refraining from providing military support to armed groups. 

DRC Foreign Minister Therese Kayikwamba Wagner and her Rwandan counterpart Olivier Nduhungirehe signed the agreement in a tense meeting in Washington, DC, on Friday, in which the two did not shake hands. 

Gabon’s Constitutional Court Confirms Oligui Nguema’s Victory in Presidential Election

Gabon’s constitutional court confirmed that Gen. Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema, Gabon’s interim president who staged a 2023 coup, won the Central African nation’s April 12 presidential election. 

Oligui Nguema won the election with 58,074 votes, which accounts for 94.85 percent of votes cast, according to the final results announced by the Constitutional Court. 

Oligui Nguema’s tally increased by almost 5 percent compared to the provisional results announced the day after the April 12 vote by the Ministry of the Interior. 

DR Congo, M23 Rebels Announce Ceasefire After Peace Talks in Qatar

The government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Rwanda-backed M23 rebels have agreed to pause fighting as they work towards a broader peace deal, according to their joint statement. 

The truce, declared late on April 23 after a round of negotiations in Qatar’s capital Doha, has raised hopes that the latest wave of violence, spurred by M23’s bloody January assault and capture of the DRC’s two largest cities, may begin to subside. 

India and Pakistan Near Strategic Standoff after Pahalgam Attack in Kashmir

Pakistan threatened to suspend its participation in all bilateral agreements with India, including the 1972 Simla Agreement, in a retaliatory move after India said it would suspend its own participation in the Indus Water Treaty and close the land border the day before. 

The Simla Agreement was a peace accord signed by the two countries a few months after Bangladesh became independent from Pakistan. 

Subscribe to