Hamas Confirms Killing of Senior Commander in Israeli Attack in Gaza

Hamas has confirmed the killing of senior commander Raed Saad in an Israeli attack in Gaza in the highest-profile assassination of a senior figure in the Palestinian group since the October ceasefire. 
  
The Israeli military had said it killed Saad in an attack on Saturday near Gaza City. At least 25 people were wounded. 
 
Confirming Saad’s killing in a video statement on Sunday, Hamas’s Gaza chief, Khalil al-Hayya, accused Israel of violating the ceasefire. 
   

Guatemala Declares State of Emergency After Armed Attacks Kill at Least 5

Guatemalan President Bernardo Arévalo on Sunday said he had declared a state of emergency in two municipalities in western Guatemala a day after armed men attacked a military post and a police station, cut off roads, and hijacked buses, killing at least five people. 
  
Criminal gangs are attempting to force security forces to withdraw in order to take control of the region, Arévalo said. He said his government would reinforce security. 
  

UN Chief Condemns ‘Horrific’ Drone Attack in Sudan as 6 Peacekeepers Killed

A drone attack has hit a United Nations facility in war-torn Sudan, killing six peacekeepers, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said. 
  
The attack on Saturday hit the peacekeeping logistics base in the city of Kadugli, in the central region of Kordofan, Guterres said in a statement. 
 
Eight other peacekeepers were wounded in the strike. All the victims are Bangladeshi nationals, serving in the UN Interim Security Force for Abyei. 
  

Israel Bombards Areas Across Southern Lebanon in Latest Truce Violation 

Israeli warplanes have carried out at least a dozen attacks across southern Lebanon, targeting what the military claims are Hezbollah training facilities in the latest flagrant near-daily violations that have further undermined a year-old ceasefire. 
  
The raids hit hills and valleys in the Jezzine and Zahrani areas, including locations near al-Aaichiyeh, between al-Zrariyeh and Ansar, and around Jabal al-Rafie and the outskirts of several towns, according to Lebanon’s state news agency. 
 

Tunisia Sentences Opposition Leader Abir Moussi to 12 Years in Jail

A Tunisian court has sentenced prominent opposition leader Abir Moussi to 12 years in prison amid a sweeping crackdown on critics of President Kais Saied, who has said he is cleansing the North African country of “traitors.” 
  
Lawyer Nafaa Laribi, who represented Moussi, the leader of the Free Destourian Party (Free Constitutional Party), in her third trial in the space of two years, called Friday’s ruling “unjust,” saying that it was “not a judicial decision but a politically motivated order.” 
 

Bulgarian Government Resigns After Mass Protests

Bulgaria’s government has resigned following weeks of street protests against its economic policies and its perceived failure to tackle corruption. 
  
Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov announced the resignation of his cabinet in a televised statement on Thursday, minutes before parliament had been due to vote on a no-confidence motion. 
 
The resignation comes weeks before Bulgaria is due to join the eurozone on January 1. 
  

An Airstrike on a Hospital in a Rebel-Controlled Area of Myanmar Kills 34 and Injures 80

An airstrike by Myanmar ’s military destroyed a hospital in an area controlled by a leading rebel armed force, killing 34 patients and medical staff, according to a rescue worker and independent media reports Thursday. 
  
About 80 other people were injured in the attack Wednesday night on the general hospital in Mrauk-U township, an area controlled by the ethnic Arakan Army in the western state of Rakhine. 
  

Rwanda-Backed M23 Offensive in Congo’s South Kivu Kills Over 400 Civilians 

More than 400 civilians have been killed since the Rwanda-backed M23 armed group escalated its offensive in the South Kivu province in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, regional officials said, adding that Rwandan special forces were in the strategic city of Uvira. 
  
“More than 413 civilians (have been) killed by bullets, grenades, and bombs, including many women, children and young people” in localities between Uvira and Bukavu, the regional capital, the South Kivu government spokesperson said in a statement late Wednesday. 
  

Story of Change: Victims Achieve a New Memorial Day in Ethiopia’s Somali Region

On July 28, 2025, the Somali Regional State Council passed a resolution designating April 6 as Victims’ Memorial Day, formally recognizing those who experienced violence and human rights violations across Ethiopia’s Somali Region. For years, victims and civil society actors, with support from ICTJ and other international partners, have persistently advocated for this acknowledgment, which marks a milestone in Ethiopia’s journey toward accountability and repair.
Subscribe to