Iran Rejects UN Rights Resolution Condemning Protest Killings

The Iranian state has rejected a resolution by the United Nations’ Human Rights Council that strongly condemned the “violent crackdown on peaceful protests” by security forces that left thousands dead. 
  
After a detailed meeting and discussions in Geneva on Friday, 25 members of the council, including France, Japan, and South Korea, voted in favor of the censure resolution. 
  

Syria Extends Ceasefire with SDF by 15 Days

A ceasefire between Syria’s military and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has been extended by 15 more days, officials said, hours after the four-day truce expired. 
  
Syria’s Defense Ministry said late on Saturday that the extension, which began at 11 pm local time, aims to support a United States operation to transfer ISIL (ISIS) prisoners from detention facilities previously controlled by the SDF. 
 

Haiti’s Transitional Council Deepens Political Chaos by Voting to Oust the Prime Minister

Haiti’s long-running political crisis deepened Friday when the country’s transitional presidential council announced it had voted to fire Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé, just two weeks before the panel is supposed to step down. 
  
Edgard Leblanc Fils made the announcement at a news conference alongside fellow council member Leslie Voltaire, saying a majority of the panel took the step in a vote Thursday, defying calls from the U.S. government to maintain stability in the Caribbean country’s leadership.  
  

Israel Bombs Four Syria-Lebanon Border Crossings; Kills 2 in South Lebanon

Israel said it attacked four crossing points on the Syria-Lebanon border, saying they were used by Hezbollah to smuggle weapons, following earlier attacks on southern Lebanon that killed at least two people and injured almost 20. 
  
This latest violence on Wednesday comes despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire, which ended more than a year of fighting between Israel and Hezbollah fighters in Lebanon in 2024 and which Israel has repeatedly violated. 
  

Five Killed in ‘Treacherous’ Attack on Military Convoy in Yemen

A bombing targeting a convoy of a group allied with Yemen’s Saudi-backed government has killed five people and wounded three others, Yemeni authorities have said. 
  
The attack on Wednesday targeted a convoy carrying Hamdi Shukri, a commander in the pro-government Giants Brigades, Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council said in a statement carried by state-run media. 
  

UN Warns of ‘Catastrophic’ Hunger Crisis in Nigeria as Food Aid Funding Runs Out

The UN World Food Program (WFP) said Thursday that more than a million people in northeastern Nigeria could lose access to emergency food and nutrition aid within weeks unless funding is secured, as violence and hunger surge in the region. 
  
The food agency of the United Nations said in a statement it will sharply scale back assistance, limiting it to only 72,000 people in February, down from 1.3 million assisted during last year’s lean season, which runs from May to October. 
   

Syrian Army Takes Control of Camp Holding Thousands Linked to ISIL

Syrian government forces have entered the vast al-Hol camp, which houses thousands of people linked to ISIL (ISIS), after the withdrawal of Kurdish forces who had been controlling the facility for years. 
  
Armored vehicles carrying troops moved into the camp, located in the desert region of Hasakah province, on Wednesday—a day after the Syrian government announced a four-day ceasefire with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). 
 

Three Journalists Among 11 Palestinians Killed in Israel’s Attacks on Gaza

At least 11 Palestinians, including two children and three journalists, have been killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza since dawn, with six others injured, according to Gaza’s Ministry of Health. 
  
Munir al-Bursh, director-general of the ministry, told Al Jazeera that the photojournalists killed when their vehicle was struck on Wednesday worked for the Egyptian Committee for Gaza Relief, which supervises Egypt’s relief work in Gaza. 
 

At Least 3,117 People Killed During Iran Protests, State Media Reports

Iranian state television has released the first official death toll from the recent antigovernment protests that engulfed the country, reporting that 3,117 people were killed during the crackdown. 
  
In a statement carried by Press TV on Wednesday, Iran’s Martyrs Foundation said that 2,427 of those killed in the demonstrations were civilians and security forces. 
 

Subscribe to