RSF Drone Attack Kills 27 in Southeast Sudan: Report

The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has killed 27 people in a reported drone attack on a Sudanese army base in the southeastern city of Sinja, a military source told Al Jazeera. 
  
Monday’s attack coincided with an announcement a day prior that the government, aligned with the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), would be returning to the capital, Khartoum, three years after it had shifted its base of operations to Port Sudan. 
 

UN’s Top Court Opens Landmark Myanmar Rohingya Genocide Case 

The top court of the United Nations has opened a landmark case accusing Myanmar of committing genocide against its mostly Muslim Rohingya minority. 
  
Myanmar’s military deliberately targeted the Rohingya minority in a bid to destroy the community, The Gambia’s Justice Minister Dawda Jallow told the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague on Monday. 
 

Venezuela Says Over 100 Political Prisoners Released; Pope Meets Machado

At least 116 prisoners have been released in Venezuela after their arrests during the presidency of Nicolas Maduro, the government has announced, nine days after the United States abducted Maduro. 
  
Venezuela’s Ministry of Penitentiary Services reported on Monday that the prisoners had been released “in the past few hours.” It followed a similar release a few days ago. 
 

Sudan Announces Government’s Return to Khartoum from Wartime Capital

Sudan’s Prime Minister Kamil Idris has announced the government’s return to Khartoum, after nearly three years of operating from its wartime capital of Port Sudan. 
  
In the early days of the civil war between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces in April 2023, the army-aligned government fled the capital, which was quickly overrun by rival troops. 
 
The government has pursued a gradual return to Khartoum since the army recaptured the city last March. 
 

Yemen’s Government Says Southern Areas Retaken from Secessionist STC Forces

Yemen’s internationally recognized government has claimed the recapture of southern and eastern parts of the country from the Southern Transitional Council (STC), as thousands of people rallied in the city of Aden in support of the secessionist group. 
  
Rashad al-Alimi, chief of the Saudi Arabia-backed Presidential Leadership Council (PLC), said on Saturday that two key regions had been retaken and that government forces have assumed full control of southern Yemen. 
  

Nicaragua Frees Dozens of Prisoners Amid Pressure from Trump Administration

Nicaragua’s left-wing government has announced the release of dozens of prisoners following pressure from United States President Donald Trump’s administration. 
  
The government of President Daniel Ortega said in a statement on Saturday that “tens of people who were in the national penitentiary system have gone home to their families.” 
  

Venezuela Releases Imprisoned Political Figures in Trump-Approved Move

Venezuela has released a “large number” of high-profile political prisoners, including several foreigners, in an apparent concession to the United States less than a week after its forces abducted Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.  

The releases on Thursday were the first since Maduro’s former deputy Delcy Rodriguez took office as interim leader, with the backing of U.S. President Donald Trump. 

UN Rights Office Cites ‘Widespread Repression’ in Uganda Before Next Week’s Presidential Election

The UN Human Rights Office said Friday that a presidential election in Uganda next week would be “marked by widespread repression and intimidation” against the opposition and others. 
  
Ugandan authorities in the East African country have used lawfare, including military legislation, to restrict the activities of politicians and others before voting on Jan. 15, the Geneva-based Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, or OHCHR, said in a new report. 
  

Israeli Attack Across Gaza Kill 14 Palestinians Despite ‘Ceasefire’

Israeli attacks across Gaza have killed at least 14 Palestinians, including five children, on Thursday, medical sources tell Al Jazeera, as Israel continues to bomb the coastal enclave despite an October ceasefire. 
  
An Israeli attack tents for displaced people in al-Mawasi area in southern Gaza killed at least four Palestinians, medical sources said. 
 
Another Israeli strike in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City killed four people, as well. Israel also bombed the Bureij and Nuseirat areas of central Gaza. 

Subscribe to